Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

of oreos and lemon pledge...

I used to have a "perfectly" clean house.  I just didn't know it.  Those were the days that if I hadn't fleshly lemon-pledged and pine-soled...well, obviously too much time on my hands.  The youth were always stopping by to hang out.  One day I made the mistake of commenting that it was "a mess".  I was quickly reprimanded with THIS (that I have not forgotten since). 
"um, girl, our mom's make us clean our rooms...
we come here to get away from that. 
we don't care WHAT your house looks like."
oh. Oh. 
Even cleaning needs to be kept in perspective that it is all about loving people.
Now with kids I have long given up on the whole house being clean all at the same time.  I mean moment.  I can't do it all and everyone does have little jobs to help.  Since I started designating duties, the silverware drawer has never looked the same ☺.
This book is a mommy's friend and encouragement.  We are not helping our children if we do not teach them responsibility and how to work.  (and YES. it is much easier to just do it yourself...until they find a job they "own" and do it better than you!).

Pinned Image

This is a practical, one step at a time, walk-you-through-it sort of book.
What are the top things you want your child to know before leaving home?
The author walks us through her choice 12...
and they are GOOD ONES. :).

beds and clutter
the joys of cooking, menu planning, shopping, washing dishes
planting, weeding and the great outdoors
how to get a job
dirty jobs (how to clean a bathroom)
laundry
do-it-yourself repair and maintenance
party planning and hospitality
working together ☺
errands
Serving with a smile
Manners

"manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. 
If you have that awareness, you have good manners,
no matter what fork you use."  Emily Post.

Cleaning House: A Mom's Twelve-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement

I received a copy of this book for the purpose of review.