Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

"I quit"

*I don't know that I communicated well in this post.  The author in no way is encouraging a self focused attitude.  This book will help the person who desires with their whole heart to love and follow Jesus, to set healthy boundaries.  To learn to say "no" in order to say a healthy "yes". 
For a healthy "yes"...
"comes from a sincere heart
that both desires and is able to do something.
It is infused with delight,
without strings attached
and absent of any resentment."
and in this "yes" there is power to be who God created you to be.
"It has been said that a person who has nothing left to lose
becomes the most powerful person on earth." 

 
I found this book on the bottom of the pile.  After I received the kind e-mail reminder that my review was overdue. Sigh.  I think I was dreading what I might read.  What I found in this brave book is truth.  I have grown up in church my entire life.  On the inside looking out.  In the "working" world a person who throws all their time into work is called a work-aholic and it impacts the family.  In church if a pastor and/or wife do this it is called "passion"..."doing the important work of God" and often is expected and/or required.  God's "yoke" is not heavy.  Often the one we put on ourselves is.  This is not an easy lesson to learn. 
One of the points that author Gero Scazzero makes concerning setting boundaries is often we are told that JOY is ...Jesus, Others, You.  The Bible says that we are to love our neighbor as ourselves.  If we don't love ourselves we will not be able to love others.  This is an excellent book. 
 
"Biblical quitting goes hand in hand with choosing.
When we quit those things that are damaging to our souls or those souls of others,
we are freed up to choose other ways of being and relating
that are rooted in love and lead to life.  For example...
When we quit fear of what others think, we choose freedom..."
 

I received this book for the purpose of review.